The Master of Arts in Biblical Studies (MABS) course of study is a 48-unit course of study that may be completed in as little as two (2-3) years but is designed for 36 months of fulltime study (9 units per semester). Students may also complete this same program as a Certificate in Biblical Studies (CBS). This program builds upon the core requirements offered in the MATS degree by adding 21 units of biblical studies courses with either 1) a
languages track (Hebrew and Greek), or 2) non-languages track.
This route is designed for those individuals who seek to be prepared to lead and teach the Scriptures in the church such as pastors, para-church leaders, or for those engaged in other ministry related activities. The MABS student learning outcomes are:
- To specify the introductory matters (authorship, date, recipients, major theme) of each book of the Bible.
- To identify the historical setting and theological contribution of each Old and New Testament book to the Bible.
- To describe the history and progressive revelation contained in the Old and New Testament scriptures.
- To explain and defend the most plausible interpretation of difficult Old and New Testament passages.
- To serve the church and/or para-church or other ministry venues by teaching and applying the scriptures to their own personal lives and to the lives of others.
- To biblically defend and explain the major classical (orthodox) doctrines of the Bible.
|Master of Arts in Biblical Studies (MABS)|
|Core Requirements – 27 units|
|OT515 Old Testament Survey (3)||AP501 Introduction to Apologetics (3)|
|TH520 Biblical Hermeneutics (3)||TH551 Christ, Sin, Salvation (3)|
|NT510 Survey of the Gospels and Acts (3)||TH561 Spirit, Church, Last Things (3)|
|NT520 Survey of the Epistles and Revelation (3)||RW499 Research Methods and Technology (P/F)|
|TH530 Prolegomena and Bibliology (3)||CM501 Church/Mission Experience I (P/F)|
|TH540 Theology Proper and Creation (3)||CM502 Church/Mission Experience II (P/F)|
|Major Requirements – 18 units|
|Languages Track||Non-Languages Track|
|BLH501 Biblical Hebrew I (3)||NT501 Gospel Literature (3)|
|BLH502 Biblical Hebrew II (3)||NT504 Revelation (3)|
|BLH503B Exegesis in the Old Testament (3)||NT530 NT Research & Methodology (3)|
|BLG501 Biblical Greek I (3)||OT505 Introduction to the Dead Sea Scrolls (3)|
|BLG502 Biblical Greek II (3)||OT506 Daniel (3) or OT519 Ruth & Esther (3)|
|BLG503B Exegesis in the New Testament (3)||AR621B Archaeology and the Bible: Historical & Cultural Synchronisms (3)|
|CM503 CM Church/Mission Experience III (P/F)|
|Elective (3) (Choose AR, OT, NT, TH category) or RW501 Thesis Research & Writing (3 units)|
|Complete Comprehensive Exam – Pass/Fail|
|Total Semester Hours: 48|